Thursday, December 9, 2010

‘Predator: South China Sea’ – Jeff Vandermeer's mainstream adventure

Predator: South China SeaGraeme's Fantasy Book Review: ‘Predator: South China Sea’ – Jeff Vandermeer (Dark Horse Books):
"That made it all the more surprising then when I found out that he had written a ‘Predator’ tie-in novel a couple of years ago (yep, it can sometimes take me far too long to catch up on things). I was of course immediately curious to find out what Vandermeer made of the leap from the gloriously weird settings of ‘Finch’ and ‘City of Saints and Madmen’ to a setting that’s undeniably more commercial and mainstream. As things turned out, it was a leap made with some aplomb but also with the help of an anchor placed firmly in the weird stuff..."
Some light reading from an unusual source. I read City of Saints and Madmen and find it hard to believe that Vandermeer would write something like this. First off, an artist still has to eat, and second, I think he probably had fun playing with the standard format thriller. I'll read it if I can get my hands on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment