Sunday, December 19, 2010

Fantasy Book Critic: "Blue and Gold" by KJ Parker (Reviewed by Liviu Suciu)

The Folding KnifeFantasy Book Critic: "Blue and Gold" by KJ Parker (Reviewed by Liviu Suciu):
"OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS:'...In the morning I discovered the secret of changing base metal into gold. In the afternoon I murdered my wife'
...
'Blue and Gold' is packed with stuff whose true meaning becomes apparent only gradually, so I actually read it several times to get all its nuances. In a departure for the author whose novels prefer the detachment of 3rd person, 'Blue and Gold' is narrated by self-confessed liar, philosopher, writer, criminal and genius alchemist Saloninus aka Nino, former college chum and current court alchemist and brother-in-law to prince Phocas who rules the country where the action is set."

If I ever get around to finish reading The Folding Knife I might take a look at Blue and Gold and other works by Parker. I've enjoyed the detailed world building and some of the plot lines in Folding Knife are fresh and well developed. I just can't seem to care about any of the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment