Saturday, November 27, 2010

Word Log Feature for e-Readers - becoming a smarter reader

I came across a post about a feature in a Sony e-Readers that struck a particular resonance with me:

A Reader’s Review of the New Sony Word Log Feature | The eBook Reader Blog

I think that long-form reading tends to be immersive. Its what I like about the experience: one goes away to a different place for a little vacation. At the same time I have been frustrated when I come across a term or reference that I do not understand and have to put down the book and do a little research.
I appreciate the ability to do a little digging (online or using an internal dictionary) while reading is a great bonus when using e-reader. The thing is that the "drive-by" style of research can be of greater benefit when accompanied by the ability to log and revisit this research. Learning comes from repetition and I;ve often found myself looking up a dictionary definition several times before I've "mastered" a word's meaning.

The Skill List Project: Vocabulary at SF Novelists: "How do you learn as many words as possible? By reading anything you can get your hands on…especially stuff that goes beyond your same-old-same-old, whatever that is. When you come across a new word, write it down. Write down the context too, so you’ll remember how it was used. Look up the meaning in a dictionary, but also check Google for other appearances of the word so you can see it in action in a number of contexts. Keep finding occurrences of the word until it’s no longer a stranger to you. That’s when you’re ready to use it yourself."

Even if you are not an aspiring writer you can wring a little bit more enjoyment out of that novel you are reading if your e-Reader can help you manage the bits where you need a dictionary, atlas, or Google to learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment