Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Best E-Reader May Be No E-Reader at All - Best or Convenient?

The Best E-Reader May Be No E-Reader at All - Techland - TIME.com:
"The upshot: Even though I have both a Kindle and a Nook here at Technologizer World Headquarters, I do most of my e-reading on other devices. And my single most-used e-reading device is my iPhone, simply because I take it with me nearly everywhere and can dip into any e-book I own in seconds, often while I'm doing something else at the same time. (I get a lot of reading done while waiting in line at Trader Joe's--basked of groceries in one hand, iPhone in the other.)"


A bit of twisted logic in this article. It sounds like the author does most of his reading standing in line at the grocery store. The mistake is equating "best" with most convenient.

I agree with the general premise though. When I am on the bus/subway and standing, gripping a pole for stability, I cannot use my e-reader. It is too large to quickly retrieve or stow away (although reading one-handed is fine).

When I'm sitting on the subway, or at home, I would never choose the tiny smartphone screen over a larger e-reader. Its a no-brainer: the more legible text you have in front of you the faster you can read. Your eye dances all over a page when you are reading; it is not a straight linear process. Small screens makes reading less enjoyable.

For me 'best' is having both a sit-down reader and a stand-up reader, auto-syncing libraries, bookmarks, and notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment