Monday, April 19, 2010

Widget Crazy: RocketDock and Yahoo! Widgets

I haven't been reading much the last two days. I've succumbed to the biggest time waster of all time: making the computer look prettier. Playing with cursors, icon sets, wallpapers, themes and desktop widgets consumes untold hours while providing little benefit. And then, ultimately, an OS upgrade or a reinstall and everything has to be tweaked all over again.

This time I tried two widget packages on my Windows XP system: RocketDock and  Yahoo! Widgets (formerly Konfabulator).

RocketDock emulates the Macintosh Dock; I'm trying to set it up to replace the Windows taskbar and have had some success. I installed it because I like the zoom/focus, animated icons, and the thumbnail applications when minimized.

Yahoo! Widgets is another Docking system, but its primarily for hosting the Widgets: tiny application that do one thing only. So far I'm using I've found that the weather widget works flawlessly. And dozens of other widgets are crap.

I'll probably uninstall them in another day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment