Saturday, April 3, 2010

David Forrest - And to my Nephew Albert I Leave the Island What I won off Fatty Hagan in a Poker Game

AND TO MY NEPHEW ALBERT I LEAVE THE ISLAND WHAT I WON OFF FATTY HAGAN IN A POKER GAME... is probably the longest title of a novel I've ever seen. A humorous British novel set in the sixties cold war. An island off the coast of Britain (in the Scillies) is occupied by American and Russian soldiers and they learn to get along and have a good time.

The inheritor of the island, a young British man, suffers the trials of trying to get his girlfriend into the sack while stranded on the island with the soldiers and the girl's father.

Quite funny. Not very in-depth in terms of character. Nor is there much interesting in the way of a plot. Views into the ignorant silliness happening in the rest of the world was quite enjoyable. The fuzzy-headed British PM was especially funny.

Well worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment