Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Aluratek Libre Pro e-reader

The Aluratek Libre Pro e-reader is on sale at NCIX.com

$139.99 CAD
Savings Code 50398-1230. SAVE $30.00 off our regular price of $169.99 if you buy today! Special price ends 4/20/2010.

Its has a 5"-640x480 LCD screen and supports ePub, PDF, and the other basic formats. It comes with a 2GB SD card, and can be upgraded. It also plays MP3s.

There is a so-so review at PCWORLD. Its a bit short and I'm not particularly swayed by their complaint about battery life.

I'm tempted by this one but apparently the unit doesn't come with a back-lit screen. Apparently the Aluratek people wanted to look like e-ink without actually using the technology. Since I do much of my night-time reading solely in the warm comforting glow of the TV or computer screen this can be a deal breaker.

Apparently there is a market out there for add-on night lights for e-ink readers -- those clip-on LED lights that are still marketed for reading dead-tree books in bed. If I'm going to plunk down some green for a new reader I do not want to have to pay $20-30 bucks extra for a 3W lamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment